Skip to main content

Modern Maria Clara




Just before this month of August ends, I decided to create a toothpick doll wearing a modern Terno Maria Clara gown. 



Every month of August, the Philippines celebrates a month-long celebration of Buwan ng Wika (Buwan means Month while Wika means Language). It used to be a week-long celebration, until President Ramos declared it should be a month-long starting from the year 1997. It's usually the month where all Philippine schools hold programs and contests about the National Language of the Philippines and our rich culture and history. Along with it, participants also wear our traditional clothes which are the Barong Tagalog (for men) and Baro't Saya (for women).



Baro't Saya is an early pre-colonial clothing of the Philippines, and also has different forms. Back in the day when there were castes, the upper class wore Baro't Saya made from silk while the lower class wore Baro made from pounded white bark fiber.  


One of the forms of Baro't Saya is the Maria Clara dress, which has four pieces (camisa or baro for the top, saya which is the skirt, panuelo for the scarf, and tapis which is a knee-length overskirt that hugs the hips). It got its name from a fictional character from the book Noli Me Tangere by Dr. Jose P. Rizal, National Hero of the Philippines.  



Then came the 1900s and the Maria Clara dress evolved to a more modern design and style and later called as Terno which refers to matching colors and patterns, or Mestiza Dress. The panuelo (Spanish for scarf) was also replaced by the butterfly sleeves. The Maria Clara dress got even more modernized at the start of the 20th century and various modern designs are worn by prominent people in the Philippines. The modern version of the Maria Clara is always worn by Imelda Marcos, the 10th First Lady of the Philippines. Pia Wurtzbach, Miss Universe 2015, also wore the modern Terno during the 64th Miss Universe.




Personally, I haven't worn an actual Maria Clara dress or even the modern Terno. Back when I was still a student, I was always the one participating in the art contests (poster-making, or bulletin board design) unlike my other classmates who joined the literary contests such as singing, balagtasan (Filipino version of debate), sabayang pagbigkas (choral recitation), and dance contests. I have only worn something similar to the Maria Clara dress once back in college. I only improvised a few fabrics to make it look like a Maria Clara dress.







I used a tan skin-tone for this piece to represent the typical Filipina who has morena skin. I gave her a red ombre modern terno with a cage sleeve. I also used the mermaid-tail style to give it a more modern look. And yes, I've used my glittery nail polish on this doll again instead of my nails. 



I gave her an updo hairstyle, to give her a neat and dignified look. I also added tiny silver hair emblems to accentuate her black hair. I'm still deciding whether to create another toothpick doll wearing the traditional Maria Clara with all the panuelo and stuff.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America Singer (Part 2), The Selection in Toothpick Dolls Series

Who wouldn't want to see America Singer in toothpick doll version wearing her signature blue gown she wore on her debut on the Illea Capital Report? After I created a toothpick doll version of her first ever day dress when she arrived at the palace, it inspired me to make another America Singer toothpick doll looking regal and princess-like. I might actually make more Americas in the future since she wore a bunch of outfits in the whole series and add to that her signature outfits on the book covers of The Selection, The Elite, and The One.  But apart from being the main character of the series, she's my favorite since she's got the personality I can probably relate to in some cases. She's a little introverted (I think), doesn't have a lot of friends, likes to do things on her own, may be a little stubborn, and likes to remain grounded despite all the fancy opportunities offered by living in the palace. But she also has some characteristics I look

Lunar New Year Toothpick Dolls

It's that time of the year when people celebrate the coming of the new year under the Lunar calendar. Chinese people celebrate this event in a very colorful way. The culture and tradition is evident on the clothes they wear, the food, the dance, and the whole celebration itself. Compared to the way my family celebrates the solar new year, it's fun in its own way. Not only do the Chinese people celebrate at this time of the year. Countries such as Brunei, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, North Korea and South Korea celebrate this holiday as well, however, it is also widely celebrated here in the Philippines as there are Chinese communities living in the country although it is not exactly a declared holiday. The Lunar New Year doesn't have a fixed date unlike the other celebrated holidays in the Gregorian calendar. In South Korea, the locals celebrate the new year in a duration of three days. But this year, it falls on a weekend, making it a long

America Singer, The Selection Series

If you came into this post then one thing is for sure: you know who America Singer is and you've also read the Selection series. I've recently come across with this series. I've been a reader of thriller genres or novels about some heroic detective solving various cases of murder and stuff. I was never a fan of the romance genre and I would always pass by the romance section on our local bookstore. Then out of the blue, I just felt like I'm getting fed up with the same genre after reading them for years. Hell, most of the books I have on my shelf are of the thriller genre. I believe it should've been a habit, but I got tired to the point of having a hard time turning the page. I was dumbfounded since, I am a lover of books and it's heart-breaking to put down a book unfinished, or having a lack of passion to read again. I felt lost. Then one day, I went to the local bookstore with my cousin to pass time. Crazy right? Most people would probabl