Skip to main content

Fairy Dolls Mobile



After making quite a few toothpick dolls that could stand on their own, have wings, have layers of petticoats, and some I made into key chains, I wanted to try out something new.



So I consulted everyone's best friend, Pinterest, for some ideas. I found thousands of recommendations as expected, but nothing interested me. I must've spent half a day trying to find something that made me curious, or even something that caught my attention. I mostly found toothpick dolls attached to clothespins, made into key chains, or either simply standing or laying down on a surface. 



When I thought I had lost hope, I tapped the home button and I found a fairy mobile idea. The thing was, it was needle felted. The idea was great, and I honestly would like to try needle felting aside from creating toothpick dolls. The problem was, here in the Philippines especially on my side of the country, supplies for crafting materials are scarce. There are a few craft stores downtown, but they don't have a variety of supplies. I can only find mostly the stuff for scrapbooking, or crocheting (even crocheting yarns come only in one or two sizes and types, but ironically they sell every needle size), and cross-stitching. So even if my hands ache for trying out the needle felting, I had to give it up.




Like a lightbulb that suddenly got switched on, I thought maybe I could try making a fairy mobile in the toothpick doll way instead. That way, I would be hitting two birds with one stone. I made my toothpick dolls, and I also made a fairy mobile!




You might think I am a fan of fairies since I was so in to making elves and this fairy mobile thingy, but the answer is no. Not really. Even after I was introduced to Peter Pan's Tinkerbell as a kid, I never fantasized about having my own tiny fairy wearing a mini bodycon dress who flies with her dragonfly-inspired wings. I found her cute and adorable though. But the first one I imagined was being able to fly like Peter Pan, and the second was being an Indian princess like Tigerlily (quite unusual, isn't it? Because most girls would probably imagine being Wendy).



But enough talk about Peter Pan. I decided to make a fairy mobile because I figured it might be challenging to make. And if something seems challenging, the outcome will be more worthwhile. Don't you agree? 




So I went on and gathered the materials I could find at home. I asked my father if could find me twigs or vines (we live next to a hill) and I rummaged his storage drawers for wires I could use. I even went to where he chops firewood and picked some tiny pieces. Then I went to my sister's room and rummaged her storage closet for some old props she used for school performances. 







While waiting for the twigs or vines, I made the dolls. I didn't use toothpicks as a skeleton for my fairies unlike my other dolls. I used my father's old wires instead which I don't know what he's intending to use for. I used wires because it's more flexible than the toothpicks, and I wanted the fairies to be sitting down, which is an action that's almost impossible to make with toothpicks. Then I just made the fairies the way I create my toothpick dolls: wrapped yarns around the wire skeleton. But instead of using the yarns to create the overall clothes of the fairies, I used my sister's old floral necklace and used the petals as skirts and wings. I used my glittery silver nail polish to add shimmer to the fairies' clothes, because every fairy shines like fairy dust (and because I use my nail polish on my toothpick dolls instead of my own nails).




Then I glued them on the tiny pieces of wood I got. My father found some twigs and vines but unfortunately they didn't match well with my fairies so I had to opt for some strings and a stick instead. I had to use my green yarn to create an illusion of vines, and a dark-brown string for another vine. Then I added some of the leftover flowers from my sister's floral necklace on the stick just to add some color and life. I apologize for the obvious staple wire I used to attach the leaf to the vine, my glue just wouldn't do its job attaching the artificial leaf to the string.




After a day of rummaging my family's storage boxes and getting frustrated over that failed vine and twig, I finished making the mobile on the next day. I placed the mobile at the corner of my room.




Though it didn't turn out the way I expected, I'm still happy with the outcome. What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America Singer (Part 2), The Selection in Toothpick Dolls Series

Who wouldn't want to see America Singer in toothpick doll version wearing her signature blue gown she wore on her debut on the Illea Capital Report? After I created a toothpick doll version of her first ever day dress when she arrived at the palace, it inspired me to make another America Singer toothpick doll looking regal and princess-like. I might actually make more Americas in the future since she wore a bunch of outfits in the whole series and add to that her signature outfits on the book covers of The Selection, The Elite, and The One.  But apart from being the main character of the series, she's my favorite since she's got the personality I can probably relate to in some cases. She's a little introverted (I think), doesn't have a lot of friends, likes to do things on her own, may be a little stubborn, and likes to remain grounded despite all the fancy opportunities offered by living in the palace. But she also has some characteristics I look

Lunar New Year Toothpick Dolls

It's that time of the year when people celebrate the coming of the new year under the Lunar calendar. Chinese people celebrate this event in a very colorful way. The culture and tradition is evident on the clothes they wear, the food, the dance, and the whole celebration itself. Compared to the way my family celebrates the solar new year, it's fun in its own way. Not only do the Chinese people celebrate at this time of the year. Countries such as Brunei, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, North Korea and South Korea celebrate this holiday as well, however, it is also widely celebrated here in the Philippines as there are Chinese communities living in the country although it is not exactly a declared holiday. The Lunar New Year doesn't have a fixed date unlike the other celebrated holidays in the Gregorian calendar. In South Korea, the locals celebrate the new year in a duration of three days. But this year, it falls on a weekend, making it a long

America Singer, The Selection Series

If you came into this post then one thing is for sure: you know who America Singer is and you've also read the Selection series. I've recently come across with this series. I've been a reader of thriller genres or novels about some heroic detective solving various cases of murder and stuff. I was never a fan of the romance genre and I would always pass by the romance section on our local bookstore. Then out of the blue, I just felt like I'm getting fed up with the same genre after reading them for years. Hell, most of the books I have on my shelf are of the thriller genre. I believe it should've been a habit, but I got tired to the point of having a hard time turning the page. I was dumbfounded since, I am a lover of books and it's heart-breaking to put down a book unfinished, or having a lack of passion to read again. I felt lost. Then one day, I went to the local bookstore with my cousin to pass time. Crazy right? Most people would probabl